Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Encyclopedia of Weird Westerns has a second printing!


If you didn't already know, Paul Green's The Encyclopedia of Weird Westerns is THE reference of all things Weird in the Western genre. This is a fantastic book that came out last year, and has now moved into its second printing! If you haven't had a chance to pick it up, you should, its an essential part of any Weird Western fans night table reading.

From automatons to zombies, many fantastic elements have been cross-pollinated with the western genre. This A-to-Z encyclopedia of the Weird Western covers film, television, animation, dime novels, pulp fiction, comic books, novels, short stories and video and role-playing games.


I blogged about it when it first came out last October, and I still love it. Its a great reference for when I'm doing research for The Emporium, or just feel like getting lost some Weird Western minutia for a while.

You can also order the book from its publisher, McFarland and Co. Inc.....and you can visit Paul at his website, The Encyclopedia of Weird Westerns which, like The Emporium, is one of the few sites dedicated to Weird West goodness online; and acts as sort of an addendum to the book.

If you haven't pick this up yet, you should do it today! And Congratulations Paul, you've written a durn fine book there, pard!

2 comments:

Paul Green said...

Thanks Mark. I guess my first surprise during my research was discovering some of the Frank Reade stories going back to the 19th century which had connections to Steampunk - before Steampunk was even a genre. :)
And thanks for highlighting the Lee Winters stories by Lon Williams on your blog. These pulp stories from Real Western Stories magazine in the 1950s are genuine Weird Western tales and deserve a wider audience today.

The Infernal Mr Adams said...

Thank you Paul! I agree with you about Lee Winters, your book really helped me when I got into a tight spot in my research for those. It allowed me to do individual title searches for the books I couldn't find online....and lead me to a site that listed every Lee Winters book written. I hope someone collect them one day, it seems a shame to let them linger, forgotten when there are so many people who would enjoy them.

Id love to do a Frank Reade blog eventually, But maybe I'll do an Edward S. Ellis one first ;)

Steampunk is old! As far as I know it actually started with Jules Verne but it wasn't actually CALLED Steampunk until either the 70s with Morlock Night, or the 80s with The Difference Engine. I LOVE it!