Saturday, December 25, 2010

Happy Holidays from the Weird West Emporium!


The Holiday times are here and New Years is right around the corner! There are no more shopping days left until Christmas, but that doesn't mean its too late to find some great books to cozy up to during these long cold winter nights! Here are a few last minute items I wanted to mention that will take you through the holiday season and into the New Year!




For pure Weird Western awesomeness and a stellar reference guide to the genre, pick up Paul Green's Encyclopedia of Weird Westerns: Supernatural and Science Fiction Elements in Novels, Pulps, Comics, Films, Television and Games which you can pick up HERE. Its a way more comprehensive read than the Weird West Emporium and has things Ill probably never get too. Also Paul has a great companion WEBSITE that picks up where the book leaves off.



Next up is Ed Erdelac's Merkabah Rider books, which can be gotten HERE and HERE in hard copy and eBook.

The story is:
The last of an ancient order of Jewish mystics capable of extraplanar travel, The Merkabah Rider roams the demon haunted American West of 1879 in search of the renegade teacher who betrayed his enclave. But as the trail grows fresher, shadows gather, and The Hour Of The Incursion draws near... Four novella episodes in one book.

A friend of mine has devoured both books and says they are spectacular; a definite must read!

Also, Ed has a great Website called Delirium Tremens where he explains the inspirations to his stories, a great trip report for the 2010 Steamcon convention (Which I failed to do a report on, oops), and many other things. You can read it HERE.

Also, check out this cool trailer that was made for the Merkabah Rider series!




The final book is the Buntline Special: A Weird West Tale by Mike Resnick. Its a different take on Wyatt Earp, Tombstone, and the gunfight at the OK Corral. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but its getting a good reviews and could be just the thing to heat up those cold winter nights! You can get THIS at Amazon too!





And that about does it for me. As The Weird West Emporium moves into its second year I wanted thank everyone for their support and readship! Ive never actually taken on anything as large as this before and its really inspiring to know that people are not only liking my site but loving the Weird West in general. I love that there is an audience for it! Hopefully next year will get even bigger with the release of Cowboys and Aliens, (and maybe other stuff that hasn't been announced yet? The Lone Ranger perhaps?) Plus there will be a ton more stuff to talk about here at the Emporium. These past two years have barely scratched the surface of whats out there. (Actually it will be two years in April, so I shouldn't celebrate just yet!)

Also, I'm considering a (sort of) secret project that everyone will be able to participate on when its up and running, but more on that later.

I'm going to take a couple weeks off and the Emporium will be closed until January 10th, so until then I hope you guys have a safe and fun Holiday season! I hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

9 comments:

Paul Green said...

Hope you had a great Christmas Mark. Your secret project sounds fascinating. :)

Unknown said...

Nice to know that there is someone out there that knows the weird west genre so well. Love this blog.

Ashe said...

I just ordered Buntline and Merkabah if you'd like me to do reviews for them once I've finished. Unless you're already working on it.

The Infernal Mr Adams said...

Paul - Thank you Paul I hope you did too. The secret project isnt that big a deal, but Ill tell you about it in a little bit. Everyone is invited to work on it! :D

Thank you Michael, I didn't see any other sites like it on the internet so I decided to create one. Of course there actually ARE a few sites out there (one is closed down, and a few others deal with different aspects of the genre.) You should also check out Paul's site if you haven't yet.

Ash - That would be great! I had asked my friend to write me a Mekabah review but he hasn't been able to get to it.

Ashe said...

Well then, good sir, once I get it read, I'll write up a review. I can post it on deviantart for my group as well so it works out.

Penelopecat said...

I just posted a review of The Buntline Special at http://tinyurl.com/4agluh6. I have to say, I wasn't impressed.

EMErdelac said...

Hey Mark were you at Steamcon II? If so, how the heck did I miss you?

Will you be at Wild Wild West Con in Tuscon next month? I'm trying like hell to get there, but the guys behind it seem to have dropped off the earth.

The Infernal Mr Adams said...

Hey Ed! I wasn't at Steamcon, I still have yet to make it too a Steampunk convention but soon I hope. I wont be able to make it to Wild Wild West Con either (Prior commitments). You and Paul NEED to be there, though.

I hope the organizers didn't literally fall off the face of the Earth, that would be embarrassing :D

The Infernal Mr Adams said...

Thanks for the heads up PenelopeCat, If its alright Id like to link to your article for a future post.