Thursday, April 29, 2010

New Jonah Hex Poster and Trailer!!



I was going to wait and post about the new Jonah Hex trailer tomorrow, but with the poster coming out earlier this week I figured what the hell I'll just combine them and do one big super post of awesomeness! Except, and I hate to say it, I'm a little disappointed with the trailer. Its not really the trailer's fault though, I just had my expectations too high....

Being a huge fan of Jonah Hex in the comics I'm obviously coming from a different place than people who might not know him very well, or at all. Not unlike Constantine, Jonah Hex looks like its for the people who don't know who the character is. I know that the point of some movies is too make a fun exciting experience...and since this is a summer film they've added the bang bang and the boom boom and the Victorian super gadgets. People who have seen it have described it as The Outlaw Josey Wales meets The Wild Wild West....That doesn't bother me, in fact that is one of the things that makes me want to see this. I'm a fan of Wild Wild West, even though I have no illusions that its a good movie, (Its definitely better than some other Weird Westerns out there).....Of course Van Helsing looked good too...and then I saw that and....yikes...

Josh Brolin looks great, my only complaint is I wish he had a contact lens or something in his ruined eye....but I love his line delivery and he seems like he might be fun too watch as Jonah. Megan Fox looks serviceabley hot, as usual, although she might want to tone down the "Hot girl" roles if she wants to be taken as a serious actress (like she seems to want)

There's a giant metal ship with a cannon device (or is it the USS Monitor?) and some dynamite flinging crossbows that could be interesting (That's actually a pretty dang good idea). We'll see, I'm definitely going to go see it, I might even start getting excited as I process the fact that its not the comic, but its own version of Jonah. I DO like that it has supernatural elements.

As for the Poster, I LOVE it! I think the image looks good, well lit, its exciting...I like that they've obscured Jonah's scar (but still kept a hint of it). He's using that Dynamite crossbow AND a Gatling gun....also, there is some good character shots, bottom line, its a well put together poster. You can click on the picture above for a better look.

Anyway, the time has arrived to make your own judgments on the new Trailer, don't let your expectations get too high and you wont be let down....eh, who knows, this may be one of my favorite films this year!

7 comments:

Paul Green said...

Too many Wild Wild West type elements for my liking Mark. Violence, sex and predictable stereotypes are all I see from this trailer. Disappointing.

The Infernal Mr Adams said...

I know, Paul :/ I'm holding out hope that maybe MAYBE it will at least be fun...even if it isn't a very good depiction of the comic book Jonah (or a very good movie in general)....but I just can't get this feeling out of the pit of my stomach :/

Ashe said...

I think this is going to end up being a few steps ahead of Van Helsing, sadly. Jonah looks great, Turnbull looks great, the supernatural element made me squee like the geek I am...and then the gatling guns showed up and the generic metal riff started up (and I love metal but the generic metal movie riff just annoys me). From that point on, my expectations started sinking. I'll see it. It'll be fun...but it's not gonna be great.

Ashe said...

Oh yeah, and Megan Fox...I was dreading her from the moment I heard she was in it.

Anonymous said...

Even if it sucks, I hope it brings in loads of cash - I know there are many (hopefully weird) westerns waiting to be green-lit.

Fans need to show Hollywood that a modern western movie can make money. After a couple of westerns with good box office returns, indie filmmakers can step in and show how it's "really done."

Fans of westerns should pay to see this one in the theater - don't wait for the DVD!

caledre said...

I think this looks awful, unfortunately. While I do have hopes for modern westerns I'm not really given over to blindly supporting anything either. Certainly not this. They even paraphrased the coffin line from Fistful of Dollars.

I had originally heard Megan Fox's role wasn't that big. Disappointing.

Free Best Movies said...

Currently western is not my genre, its an American Polite War prologue depicts Jonah Hex as a brave Assistant mariner guiding raids against Brotherhood personnel. During his say over tale, Jonah announces that war and he were prefabricated for apiece remaining. Things drastically difference subsequent when Hex refuses to obey an say to shine a civilian hospital with the patients treed region. The spread is relayed in informative duologue between our artificer and a standing man.